Monday, January 3, 2011

Bridesmaid Dresses

Here's my thoughts on bridesmaid dresses:

  1. I don't want my bridesmaids spending a boatload for a dress (screw you, J. Crew). It's not fair to them to ask them to stand at my side and then have them have to shell out a crap ton of money to do so. If we end up with a dress that's much over $100, I will probably contribute to defray the cost of the dress.
  2. I detest strapless dresses, but almost all the bridesmaids dresses out there are strapless. But I don't want what basically looks like a strapless dress that they threw some spaghetti straps on. It looks sort of dated to me.
  3. I would like cocktail/knee-length, because we'll be outside in August. The sleeveless ones I've looked at are also for this reason, though I wouldn't be opposed to little flutter cap sleeves or something. It's just finding dresses that come in multiple sizes that come in the solid colors we need.
  4. All the dresses I've looked at have pockets. This to me is a huge plus. I know I would want pockets!

These are our colors.
I won't be subjecting my ladies to peach dresses. I'm saving peach for details and paper things. I think my biggest bridesmaid inspiration was via Style Me Pretty, from an inspiration shoot:

via a classic inspiration photo shoot
The giant pearls are a little Wilma Flintstone for me, but I adored the shade and style of the dress, as well as the hairdo. But the dress was custom made, so I had to try to find some alternatives.

Option 1: Alfred Sung D440, in Fresh (minty green), Jade (the deeper blue green), and Paradise (the lighter purple).

This one is nice, because it's classy. It's got that Audrey Hepburn sort of neckline. And pockets. Pockets are pretty much a necessity!

But, how will it look with an *ahem* busty girl? I have no idea. Thoughts?

 

Option 2: Alfred Sung D447. In Dahlia (the purple), Niagara (teal in the middle), and Seaside (the seafoam). I think this is my favorite, as it is most like the inspiration picture.


 


Option 3: Alfred Sung D438 in Jade, Fresh, and Paradise. If my ladies didn't mind going strapless. I like these for the a-line skirt and the colors. We could always do a little cover up of some sort...

David's Bridal stuff was mostly tacky. I'm drawn to these Pantone dresses because the prices weren't bad (around $120) and I love the vibrant, saturated colors that fit perfectly in our color scheme.

What do you think? Any favorites?

1 comment:

  1. Omg, I love the dress in the middle Dana. Actually all three are gorgeous but I really like the one in the middle especially in the purple and teal :-)

    ReplyDelete