Monday, January 3, 2011

Overwhelmed by Color Part II

So, when we left off, I was arranging swatches for hours on end. John would look over at my boards and chime in "Green isn't really a wedding color to me," or "I love the combination of purple and orange," or "That board is sort of bland." I really valued his input, especially since most grooms I know of don't give their two cents about this sort of thing.


So these were the top four boards. We loved the purple and orange, but it just didn't feel right for Autumn. Part of me thinks we were destined to have an Autumn wedding, personality-wise, but it just didn't make sense with our academic careers and schedules of our loved ones...

So we let go of the purple/orange board.

Bye, we'll miss you!
Next, I tried to throw in cobalt blue with the creamy, peachy palette. I was inspired by these two boards to try to throw in the true, deep blue.



Pretty, but predictable.
I love the color, but it ultimately felt too safe with all the cream and peach. John even said "It looks too bland. It needs a pop of another bright color to make it work." I think he was right about that.

Remember me?
Next, I went back to the idea of teal and peach. With the first two boards, I felt like I was betraying my engagement ring. Since I picked a teal diamond it's been sort of inevitable that I'd have some form of teal in my wedding colors, to set it off nice.


But it still seemed like something was missing, though we were on the right track.

I kept coming back to the seafoam green with the orange-y peach.
Then John said something that made it click for me "I think you should try it with purple in there somewhere."
The one.
So it's settled. I still get my soft peach/seafoam green, with some graduated bluegreen/teals, and a pop of bright purple. Everybody is happy, and if we stick to orange-y peaches it's almost like having the purple/orange combo.

Now, the fun part. A color scheme alone doesn't make a wedding, though it's a nice start. Out of these colors, I have to figure out what color the bridesmaids should wear and the groomsmen (and me, for that matter; I'm not necessarily sold on a white gown). I have to start making the actual aesthetic decisions.

But it feels like a major milestone! Also, our deposit is paid on our venue, so it is totally, completely booked. Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME, Dana. I love your colors... but I think I love the involved and fastidious process of getting there even more :)

    ReplyDelete