Monday, March 21, 2011

Wedding Favors

It is an interesting conundrum-do you have to give wedding favors? Wedding favors fall into two categories: useless trinkets that have their wedding date and names on them that will be thrown out by the guests, or something edible.

I think if you do one, edible is the way to go. But are these favors really necessary? I can barely remember any wedding favor I've ever received as a guest (and I've only been to a few weddings!). It's not that I don't want to acknowledge my appreciation for the guests; I am so glad they can be there to share our day with us. But will a cheap little box of candy really show them that appreciation?

I've seen some brides do incredibly creative favors, showing a true gratitude by making something themselves. I've seen brides who grew up on a farm make jars of preserves or apple butter for their guests (though of course this works best for a smaller wedding!). I love this idea of doing something DIY, since I plan on doing a lot of things myself for this wedding (and already have, like the Save the Dates!).

The best idea I saw recently was on the Ruffled blog. They're having a DIY contest right now, which always produces some lovely project ideas. I love details, and these wedding blogs are great for giving you ideas! This one? Homemade vanilla extract! Doesn't that sound divine?

Photo: Magpie Paper Works
My first thought though: won't this cost a ton of money? So, I started looking online.

150 guests=150 favors (not necessarily true with couples, but just for starters let's say we would have 150 favors)
1/4 lb of vanilla beans per 15 favors=2 1/2 lb vanilla beans ($55.40 on the website they recommended)
150 2 oz bottles= $87.84 on the website they recommend
10 bottles of vodka @$11.99 (on BevMo)=$119.90

=$263.14
Which comes to an average of $1.75 per guest if each and every guest got an individual bottle of the stuff. I don't know much about wedding favors, but that seems like a pretty good price, and less than I was expecting it to run.

What do you think? Would you be excited to get something like vanilla extract as a wedding favor? I think I would because it's so unique, but I can definitely see a lot of people thinking it's weird if they aren't into baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment