Friday, May 20, 2011

Formal Invitations Part 1

I wasn't blogging much in the last two weeks, because I was in crunch time to get my invites finished and sent. Round 1 is out, and I'm already receiving enthusiastic responses back (hooray!). Round 2 will go out if/when we get some people declining. There were so many people we loved and wanted to include, but we have really strict limitations on space for our venue, and are held fast to exactly 150 invitees. I hope they understand that they aren't necessarily second-fiddle in our eyes, we just have giant families!

Enough explanation, on to the main event!

As you may or may not know from my other posts, I started with vintage soap and perfume labels, edited out text, messed with color, and added my own text back in. They were a labor of love. For the invite itself, I was drawn to this label in particular:

From there, I tweaked the heck out of the colors, until I achieved something like this:

But then, of course, was the issue of wording. I knew I wanted the top to say "Together with our Families" since this is a family effort, and I knew I didn't want proper titles or middle names to imply our casual setting. From there, I came up with the following wording:

For the curious, I alternated Jugend WF and Lullaby. The fancy type for our names and the Shakespeare quote are KellyAnn Gothic. 

The quote is from Henry VI (Act 4, Scene 6) by Shakespeare. I enjoy how the quote seems to imply a wedding ceremony if you take it out of context (it's about politics and the fate of the government). So then the tough part was trying to place it all in the invites to create a pleasing aesthetic.

Looked too sparse in the orange middle section.
Better, but I missed having the Shakespeare in there.


It ended up coming down to the two above, I went with the second one, because I decided we needed to have the address for Mohican on there and not just on the directions card. I had to cut the line "Dinner, a jam session, and merriment to follow." But oh well. You win some, you lose some. I could have spent many more hours tweaking everything, but I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment