Thursday, April 28, 2011

Amen!

Just go read it, especially if you're a fellow bride. Offbeat Bride writes a wonderful denouncement of the word "tacky"

Brides all over wedding websites worry that their nontraditional wedding will be "tacky." But this term is so meaningless because it's all about context. Just as I know I could never hold a 300 guest soiree in a ballroom downtown with 6 foot tall centerpieces and an all white cake and Canon in D to walk down the aisle...lots of brides do just that. Most of the weddings I play have most of those elements. And you know what? As much as my quartet will occasionally judge (we love silently judging the guests who wear too-short minidresses with spindly little stripper heels), we mostly celebrate what was beautiful: the bride beaming as she walks down the aisle, the groom tearing up during the vows.

I just wish I had given myself a little less grief when I was searching for my wedding dress and getting so upset because I felt like a "bad bride." The wedding industry is sneaky, and very very good at making you feel like you have to do things a certain way. This article is a reminder that nobody is a bad bride. If you want to cosplay at your wedding as elves from the Lord of the Rings, and have your wedding bands engraved with "One ring to rule them all...in holy matrimony," go for it. The people who love you will likely see these ideas as so unmistakably you, and they will love you all the more for expressing yourselves in your wedding planning.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know that even those of us who did things "traditionally" get judged? I love roses, and I met with a bunch of florists before choosing one. I had one florist tell me that she wouldn't do roses because they are "common" and "tacky." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that's stupid that a vendor would say that to you. It's their loss of business!

    Your wedding was freaking gorgeous and amazing and perfect, and the first thing my mom said when I shared the photos with her was how amazing your bridesmaids looked in that stunning blue color and how the flowers were bright and had such a pop against the deep blue.

    Just goes to show you that it all pays off in the end no matter what anybody tells you.

    ReplyDelete