Monday, July 25, 2011

Wedding Shoes

I should have posted this ages ago, but I bought my wedding shoes, after much deliberation.

So, here's what happened: I bought a pair of ballroom dance shoes, which looked perfectly adorably perfect on the website. They arrived, I opened them, only to find that the color was totally wrong. What looked like flesh toned satin vs. gold leather trim really just looked like gold on gold. Which wasn't bad, but it was too flashy and the seams looked sort of ragged and cheap. Disappointing, because I was expecting this:
 Look so cute in the picture, right?
Still bummed these didn't work out.
They didn't seem like shoes I was going to keep, wear again, etc. So I returned them with a heavy heart, because I knew I'd have to start searching again. For those of you new to the blog, or new to me, I HATE SHOE SHOPPING. I only like vintage-looking shoes, and I often have a hard time finding what I like.

However, after a few weeks of searching (Endless, DSW, Plasticland, Modcloth...) I bought not one, but two pairs of shoes (shocking!).

The first, I wore for my engagement photos, found on Plasticland. I love them so much, I may buy them in black. They are the most friggin' comfortable pair of heels I have ever owned. I have worn these babies with jeans, because they are so darn comfortable.


There they are in action (and in black and white)! 
http://www.toomuchawesomeness.com/danaandjohn  
© 2011 Kenneth Clunk.
And, other than the engagement-photo shoes, I bought my wedding shoes:

Bowm-chicka-bow-wow.
I had a temporary moment of "Do these look vintage, or more like something Lady Gaga would wear?" Eventually, I decided to bite the bullet and buy them. I love the little gold leather tie, the teardrop cutouts, the peep-toe. I never in a million years expected to buy an ivory shoe, or anything in the white family. I was expecting to buy blue/teal shoes and rock the house that way, with my something blue taken care of. But these are fantastic, no?

I shipped them to my parents' house, and so I got to open them in front of my mom, whose immediate response was "Aren't those heels a little high?" in a tone that really deflated my initial excitement. But, my mom can't help but worry about everything. Her mind immediately goes to places like "Is that pathway at Mohican level? What if she trips in her dress while she walks down the aisle? Is the peep toe going to pinch her toes at a weird angle? Will she get blisters and not be able to have her first dance?" (I fielded some of these questions; that's how I know she thinks this way. Must be exhausting!).

None of which should matter to her, since I am the one who has to actually wear the shoes, and weigh these supposed risks myself. I've already practiced walking in them, and they are fine because they are made well (yes, it's a surprising 4" heel, but I am actually at a height where John doesn't have to stoop too much to kiss me at the altar. Also, my wedding dress doesn't need to be taken up as much now, which makes me happy since I wanted to do as little to the train of the dress as possible).
And I friggin' love them. This isn't to say I don't adore my mom. She's been awesome throughout the wedding planning process. Her main complaint has been that I haven't given her enough to do, which I count as a sign that I am doing a great job of keeping things simple and focused on the whole getting married part of the wedding.

Hopefully I'll take some halfway decent photos of all the DIY projects in the works and get those posted. At the very least, you'll see some photos after the wedding is over, since our photographer rocks my socks off. Less than 2 weeks now! Wish me luck in the final days of harried crafting and planning and running about (and hemorrhaging money. Don't forget the hemorrhaging of money that will happen from now until the wedding day).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment