Sunday, October 10, 2010

A blog about many things

I believe this blog will be many things to me: an outlet, a place to gawk at pretty things, a chronicle of my wedding planning and my life experiences.

I do not know how often I'll post or what I will post about. As for right now, I will let this blog be. I read a lot of blogs and they all have a focus-décor, or food, or weddings-and I package them up neatly in my google reader into little categories to skim through with the morning coffee. Sometimes I want to think about other things. To dream, to reflect, to geek out, to share.

I tried blogging with a focus-music-but it was hard to find the time or energy to devote myself to one topic on a blog. I found the well running dry, and then flooding when I had things to say. I always have things to say, and so I realized that the issue was not my lack of the muse, but my focus. Just like a good research paper (which I hope I have many, many of in my future), a focus can be too narrow. Music, as much as my teenage self may disagree, does not wholly define my character. I chase beauty, I choose poetry over prose, I make things with my hands, I love, and I live a life of joy and passion. My little short-sighted blog couldn’t captivate me because it couldn’t contain my love of comics, my penchant for vintage costume jewelry, my insistence on using candlesticks on a regular weeknight meal. It couldn’t contain my shapeshifting wardrobe, my nerdiness, or my inner monologue.

If I am to have an online home, I’d like it to feel like home. I’d like it to be multifaceted, a space where I could share a funny video or a beautiful picture, or talk about my dreams. A place where I can be myself, instead of feeling pressured to shove myself into a little box to have streamlined content. Screw that. If you don’t like my blog, you can ignore it. There’s thousands out there clamoring for your attention. I don’t plan to shout from the rooftops, but I do want to share and articulate what I’m thinking and feeling and express myself verbally from time to time.

Walt Whitman sums it up best in his Song of the Open Road. Allow me to quote/truncate:

I do not offer the old smooth prizes,
But offer rough new prizes,
These are the days that must happen to you:
You shall not heap up what is called riches,
You shall scatter with lavish hand all that you earn or achieve…

Afoot and lighthearted, take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before you,
The long brown path before you,
Leading wherever you choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment