Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Amen.

East Side Bride is a girl after my own heart. I couldn't agree more with this post, where she briefly reflects on, (and I quote)

"WHY THE FUCK DO YOU NEED TWO WEDDING DRESSES!?!"

I have long wondered this, seeing the phenomenon on various wedding blogs. It's become such a commonplace thing that nobody seems to question the fact that it's totally weird. 

Especially the way the wedding industry fetishizes finding "The One" (the dress, not the boy). The Knot is full of stories of blubbering future brides, talking about how they knew they had found the One when they started crying and everybody else in the room burst into tears. Apparently that's how you know it's the perfect dress, the one worth shelling out all that money for: sobbing mothers and misty-eyed bridesmaids.

I get what some people say about changing for practical reasons; afraid of spilling red wine on their dress, inability to move around comfortably, etc.

But here's my $0.02:
  1. Get a dress that you adore, that makes you feel magical. Stay in said dress as long as possible, to prolong the magic as long as you can.
  2. If it's "The One", the tear-inducing confection of tulle and lace, why change into something less fabulous? Why be anything less than radiant the entire wedding?
  3. If dancing is important to you, find a dress you can dance in! Buy ballroom shoes to go with your dress and have at it!
But then again, I'm not exactly the type to go for something like this: 
I typed "wedding ballgown" into Google. Voila.
I get the Cinderella mentality to an extent. I'm all for brides feeling beautiful and special. I'm not anti-establishment enough to deny somebody the princess-for-a-day feeling (as long as they aren't bitchy bridezillas about it).

Because (and this is one of many surprising places you'll see my traditionalist side pop up) I believe the process of becoming a bride, dress and all, is a rite of passage. I think it's an important transition to make, and that it is a significant change that should be celebrated and not treated as simply an expensive game of dress-up. You have to use your wedding planning to focus on the monumental change you are making to your life.

Plus, just think about the actual changing into the second dress: it will likely happen in a cramped bathroom stall somewhere, with a maid or maid of honor helping you keep the dress from dragging on the floor. Then what are you supposed to do with your little pride and joy for the rest of the reception? Hang it behind the head table? Stuff it in a car? Fold it up and put it in your trunk? Can you even fold a wedding dress? There's so many weird little logistics you'd have to add on.

YOU DON'T NEED THE HEADACHES!

No comments:

Post a Comment