Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Party Time!

I love the contrast in these images by russetplait: the red hair, the deep red lips, the black against the snow. So gorgeous!

via
via

via
I love this look for the holidays; just a pop of deep red with black and a touch of sparkle at the collarbone.

I also liked E's look on Academichic for a party with professors: deep charcoal gray with bright red tights.
I would so wear this! Only I'd probably add a simple necklace with red gems;
I don't like my neck to go bare unless I'm playing violin.
My take on neutrals+red? I'm currently wearing red nail polish from Urban Outfitters.

This exact one, in fact.
This is a first for me, because I've always avoided red nails. They're just so basic, not much more interesting to me than a french manicure (eeew). Nothing against girls who want the classic look,* I'd just rather have an opaque pop of color if I'm going to take the time to do my nails. I don't often do it, because I'm impatient and smudge the nails before they can get a chance to really set.

Generally I'm all about the OPI Sephora colors, but it's hard to justify $9.00 nail polish when I'm not a nail polish maven. When I was at UO buying this nail polish (and Christmas presents for people), the girl at the checkout said "This is such a blood red. Like something out of Twilight." One of the other cashiers chided her, "DON'T TELL THAT TO THE CUSTOMERS!" I had a chuckle.

Anyways, back to party looks. We had a nice little shindig at our place Sunday evening. Just eleven friends, mulled wine, and appetizers. It was an awesome evening. It was the first time we've had more than a couple people over at once, and it was a smashing success.

I labeled everything.
The puppy chow/muddy buddies were gone by the end of the night.
The table with Christmas decor.
Snowflake garlands and pretty lights.
Our coffeetable with the "party tree"
and flowers from John's concert on Thursday.
Setting out the pretty cups and the veggie tray.
And, of course, I have no photographic evidence of my outfit, but I got lots of compliments. I wore a soft-as-can-be black cardigan over a quirky floral print dress I bought at Salvation army, my red nails, my grandmother's golden lockets, a black fascinator in my hair, and dark skinny jeans. The important thing to me was keeping everybody in food and drink and conversation, and I'd say it went off without a hitch.

Hope your holidays are filled with many nights of family, friends and fun!


*Unless you get a french pedicure. Those creep me out for some reason. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment