Friday, December 3, 2010

Photography

I was struck by this post on east side bride. Actually, I was struck by a comment made on the post.


I really liked her second paragraph, because I think it brings up a really interesting idea. How many girls get engaged and then immediately lose themselves in 1) playing dress up 2) throwing a big party.

These days, we have access to everything. Blogs, Martha Stewart weddings. I'll bet when the Prince and Ms. Middleton tie the knot, there will be a global simulcast of the event, just like for Princess Di's wedding. We are a strangely wedding-obsessed culture. This has led to more and more high-end photographers. When we see the superstar wedding photographers on blogs, there's a lot of pressure (some of it subconscious) for us to make our weddings look like that.

I agree with the spirit (though not the letter) of ESB's opinion: You only need one great photo. I think this is true. This isn't to say that I'm not hoping for more than one (whether they come from a pro photographer or several friends' digital cameras). I love photos so much. I love looking back through them later on and reminiscing. However, your wedding is not a photo shoot. 

I think in my case the many beautiful photos I'm hoping for have nothing to do with the styling of my surroundings. They will have a lot to do with the people I share the day with, and our genuine joy at being able to gather together as family and friends and promise to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment