Sunday, February 20, 2011

Wedding Dress Woes

I can't sleep. I had a weird day. I think I want to write a little bit and talk about it.

My mother called me this morning and said that we should go wedding dress shopping. I said sure, but inwardly, I had mixed feelings. I was glad to go and to have a chance to check out several places, but I was dreading the experience simultaneously. I know this is not the reaction I am supposed to be having. I should be excited to find my wedding dress. I predicted it long ago; the search for the wedding dress was going to be frustrating, because I hate almost all that I've seen on other brides. Perhaps I set myself up for failure. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, right? Surely at these bridal salons, they carry a wider range of dresses than just the strapless, beaded-bodice ballgowns or the fit and flare mermaid styles that lace up the back, right? So I set out with a mixture of hope and apprehension.

My dad, who was with us, sensed my unease. He suggested lunch before I had the dress-blitz at the various bridal salons on the west side. So we had lunch at an awesome little tea parlor. A good cup of earl grey helped steel me for the rest of the day.

We headed to a giant bridal store that felt like a warehouse. As soon as we walked in, a lady was incredibly sweet to us. Even though we didn't have an appointment, she insisted it was fine and kept telling me that I was going to be "spoiled" by the attention of a personal bridal consultant. So we were invited to browse while we waited to meet with our consultant. We wandered the store, but I was immediately overwhelmed. The store is huge, and there are many, many rooms full of frothy, beaded, huge confections of gowns. I found myself not wanting to dig. This wasn't like going thrifting; I wasn't excited as I pulled out gown after gown with gaudy, poorly-sewn on beading. Everything seemed like it was strapless, or overdone in some way: pretty, but then they ruined it by adding just a little too much lace or a giant beaded buckle or a huge train.

I decided to have a seat and wait to meet with my consultant, who could perhaps help find things that fit what I did want: vintage-y, off-white, preferably with interesting lace, not beaded, not strapless, floor length but no train that would drag on the ground since I'm getting married outside. As for straps vs. sleeves, I was open. Even the fullness of the skirt was something I was willing to wait and see, though I envisioned something more streamlined.

Our consultant was chipper and petite. I told her what I liked, sort of what I was looking for, and she basically flat out said, "Well, we don't have anything like that." But she pulled several dresses for me anyway. I was grateful to hole up in the bridal room and have things brought to me so I didn't have to dig through the racks.

I tried on lots of dresses. Many of them were pretty in and of themselves, but putting them on, they didn't seem like me. Many of the ones at the first place were super small, though, where I couldn't even zip them, or could barely breathe if I did manage to get them closed. I felt like Bridal Barbie; stiff but covered in pouffy layers of tulle and silk and lace. My mom was frustrated because she felt like she couldn't get a sense of how things looked when I couldn't even get them closed. Her being frustrated made me feel awkward in what was already an awkward situation. It was basically my mom and I and this chipper salesgirl, me in a bra that has actually become too large for me (apparently I have lost weight?) and that would bunch out beneath the too-tight dresses. PS: I am not a large girl. If these were their sample sizes, then their regular clientele is apparently related to Twiggy.

Also, whenever I told anybody my wedding date, they acted like I was so last minute. "Well, these dresses take 5-8 months to get in, so you really should be ordering now." That made me feel bad about myself. Bad bride. You should have been dress shopping in November and December. I'm thinking "I didn't even have a wedding date set until mid-November, and then I was finishing Ph.D applications and worrying about passing my recital qualifying jury."

There were more bad bride moments. Although everybody at the places I went was extremely cheerful and willing to pull lots of different styles for me, nothing really fit my initial specifications, and I started feeling more and more embarrassed: for not liking the typical styles, for having to parade out to those little platforms and stand and be scrutinized, for the salesladies complimenting my figure and telling me all those flattering things about how the dresses looked made for me even off the rack, for not taking more joy in this process. I guess I'm more modest than I realized? Seeing myself in curve hugging mermaid gowns made me uncomfortable. Walking with a huge swath of fabric in my wake made me feel gangly and awkward (aka "gawkward"), like when I got my first pair of combat boots in high school and teetered around on their four-inch platforms, but tried to act like I could walk in them just fine.


The salesladies would hand me a strapless dress and say "Now, we can add a sleeve to this in alterations." They would hand me a dress with a huge train and say, "We can bustle this up so it won't trail when you walk." They would hand me a dress dripping with beading and say, "Look how pretty it sparkles." I said, "I'm hoping to have the bling be in my jewelry and keep the dress less sparkly" and they would say "Well, don't do a lot of jewelry with any of these. These dresses already have a lot going on." I wanted to scream "I know! That's why I wanted something without beading in the first place!" I tried to take their advice to heart and focus on the overall look of the dress. I started having thoughts in my head like "Well, this has about 1,000 sequins on it, but maybe I could sit at home with a seam ripper and remove every last one so that just the lace is left. Would it look ok without all the sparkles?"




Listen, I came to girl world late. I grew up preferring my brother's legos to the insulting pastel "girl legos" my parents bought me. I had Barbies that I only played with when friends came over and wanted to play with dolls. I didn't grow up envisioning my wedding day, picturing myself in a frothy white dress, dancing the waltz for my first dance, with a five-tiered round white cake and Canon in D to take me down the aisle.


I jumped in to bride world in 2009 when I got engaged. I started looking on wedding blogs, and I got excited. I saw that not every bride had that cookie-cutter look; couples were having such amazing celebrations by putting their own stamp on the day. And their dresses were amazing. Some were designer dreams, but many more were simple, vintage, perfection. I started thinking, I can do this. I can get married on my own terms in a dress that doesn't make me feel like a cupcake or a Disney princess. Or, a little like a cupcake, but an authentic, 50s sort of cupcake with swiss dot netting and a sweetheart neckline.

I feel like a bad bride. Every step of the way I've been at odds with myself; I want things laid back and focused on John and I, but I want things to be special and beautiful because this is the only wedding I ever plan on having and I want to be able to look back on it and smile and be happy with my photos of the little details. I want to use my talents and make beautiful things and keep it simple, but I want things to be gorgeous and not look low budget or tacky or plain.

I want to feel beautiful in my dress, and not like a little girl playing dress up. I want to wear something that feels like MY wedding dress. I want to put on that dress and know it's the right one.

Am I buying too much into the wedding complex, here? I wasn't expecting to jump up and down and start crying like many of the girls I saw at the salons today. But shouldn't there be an aha! moment? Just a little one? One where you put a dress on, look in the mirror, and say to yourself, "This is my dress. I'm going to get married in this."

7 comments:

  1. I think the first and the last ones look the best because of the top portion. my favorite is the first you look stunning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dana! Its Taylor.

    Sorry to hear about your no good, awful, very bad day :-/. That sounds horrible. I hate situations that end up in circular frustration.

    I don't know if you've tried this already or not, but: Why not try to contact some of the brides you've enjoyed on these blogs? Use the internet to your advantage. Like you say, you're new to girl world, and the traditional wedding stores are designed for veterans of girl world.

    Also, maybe what you're looking for won't actually be in a WEDDING dress store, but maybe a regular dress store. Look around online for locally owned dress stores and see if you find someone who has your tastes who might have a very nice, not quite suitable for a regular wedding, wedding dress that might be perfect.

    Just a couple of thoughts. You'll find something. Keep on keeping on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way as you when I was dress shopping. In fact, I was so uncomfortable, that I think I settled on a dress quickly just so I could be done, and started having second thoughts about my dress the following day. My biggest suggestion is to try as hard to find a picture of what you want, take those pictures in, and dont try on anything that doesnt fit your image. Also, know you aren't the only one who is uncomfortable. I ended up buying a second dress online, and now have 2 dresses and need to decide which one is really me, and get rid of the other.

    Good luck with everything. Besides the dress, you are way ahead of me in the whole wedding planning process, and my wedding is only a month after yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling Dana,

    I've been a silent reader of your blog for months (and of course been hearing some wedding details from Priya), but I feel like now I have to comment. I'm so happy for you that you have such a clear idea of what you want to wear - think how ahead of other brides that puts you! You should NEVER feel like a bad bride. You are just a girl with different tastes from the rest of the world, and that is what makes you so unique. I know you're going to find an incredible dress that fits you and your style. Keep your chin up!

    IE&SL,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. :pouts: Dana, I wrote you a really long reply and then the internet ate it. I am sad. Let me see if I can do it again...

    Okay, so, one. I didn't even start shopping for a dress until about three months before the wedding. It is doable, even if people look at you agape. I went to a few stores with my bff, but I hated every single dress I tried on because of one thing or another. So then I brought Scott. It was a heck of a lot easier to like things when I saw what he thought of them.

    And, after a little while, I got into the mode your salespeople were talking about, where I was like, oh, I like this bit of this dress, and this other bit of this other dress. So I wouldn't suggest avoiding dresses that aren't already what you want, because a) you might find something in one that you didn't know you wanted and b) you might find out that the dress you are envisioning in your head looks different on your body. Bodies are silly like that.

    The dress I eventually picked out was not what I set out to buy, and in fact was not what I ended up wearing. It came with a small train and all this beadwork, and I had both of those chopped right off. The alterations people were a little bit like, why would you do that, but once I convinced them that's what I wanted, they took my suggestions and even made them better. Trust in the alterations people. :)

    Also, the store I bought it from didn't have anyone called a "bridal consultant," which I think helped. It was this teeny store out in the Youngstown boonies with like two employees and a ton of dresses, but those girls knew their inventory and they were able to swoop through the racks and bring me things that looked surprisingly awesome compared to what I had been seeing, which was, you know, an overwhelming metric butt-ton of fabric. And when I said I didn't want stupid beads on my dress, they said, "Here's a beaded dress, but don't worry, we can pull those things right off. Just look at the rest of it." I am definitely a proponent of tiny dress stores!

    Also also, you will know when you find your perfect dress. Maybe not when you try it on, but when you keep going back to it. It's pretty much like finding a husband to begin with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you need a vacation from wedding stress. Trust me, engagement is supposed to be a blissful time. You're supposed to feel excited all the time about the wedding, etc. However, I don't think that's the way it happens for any girl. And that's too bad. You remember all the drama with my new in-laws? Yeah... So, my advice is to refocus back on your life and relationship. Don't think about the wedding at all for a whole week!!!! (I know it's hard). Just go swing dancing, have a glass of wine every single night, watch movies, cuddle, take walks. Do anything but the wedding. Your wedding will be wonderful, even if it's a total disaster by your standards. Remember, your wedding is only one day, it's kind of like the means to the ends. Your wonderful relationship with John is for the rest of your life. If you end up picking up a black cocktail dress from a thrift store two days before the wedding - then you'll still be the blushing bride! We all love you!

    Love,
    Sarah N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana, I too have been a lurker, but this post about broke my heart so I had to comment. I think it is so WONDERFUL that you want a different kind of wedding and a different kind of dress. It's awesome that you know so clearly what you want, and there is a dress out there for you. It'll be a better reflection of you than if you decide to go with something that you only kind of want. And you will know it. :)

    P.S. I'm really glad Alison already commented because I was going to comment and tell you to talk to her because I know she had trouble finding her dress too.

    ReplyDelete