Monday, March 21, 2011

Floating on a Cloud...

So, I've been really weird about spending money lately, other than on groceries. I have been trying to avoid buying little things like coffee and lunch, because I know they can add up so quickly, and I always think to myself, "If I spend this now, I won't have money for wedding things." It's a good way to keep the credit card from getting swiped, you know?

But, I had a one-in-a-million moment today, and I think my not-spending-money thing was karma. The universe was trying to tell me to hold out, otherwise I might have missed out!. Let me explain.

I have two major purchasing regrets in life, both of them dresses, oddly enough (but I'm only going to talk about the first one). I discovered the dress my first year working for housing, before my senior year of college. It was a dress from Anthropologie that just kept calling to me. I would keep the page open at work and stare longingly at it. But, I was hesitant to spend the money even though I clearly was madly in love with this dress. Because, it was Anthropologie, after all. Their dresses run about $200, and I buy most of my clothes at thrift stores. It's hard to go from paying less than $10 for anything to spending $150 and up for a single thing!

So the item went on sale, yet I still told myself it wasn't a good idea. The dress came and went, but I still dreamt after it, longingly. I really knew I had been a dummy when, a year later, I was still sad about not buying it. I still had the pictures sitting in a folder and I would look at them and shake my head. Sometimes you just have to buy yourself nice things, you know? Especially if you really love it and keep coming back to it. Generally, I'm not a big spender. I like to keep things simple and eat well and focus on that. But I think there's value in buying something you'll really love and cherish.

So, I was taking a study break tonight (writing a paper for my grad class), and somehow I ended up on ebay, and I saw it! THE DRESS. The FRIGGIN' ANTHROPOLOGIE, missed-opportunity-dress! Not only that, it was a BUY IT NOW. How did I get so lucky? I didn't even have to worry about getting my heart broken by losing the auction to somebody else...

So, without further adieu, here's what I got:

The Anthropologie Antiquarian Dress


I fell in love with that lace, obvs.
This dress is so special to me, mostly because I tracked it down after almost three years. It was just one of those things I would idly search every now and then. I still can't really believe I found it!

I am probably going to wear this beauty for engagement photos, and the rehearsal dinner. Might as well give it the spotlight it deserves!!!

And now, back to my paper. I am so looking forward to checking my mailbox this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment