Monday, March 7, 2011

Wedding Updates: Website

Hello all! Now that my recital is over, I can focus on planning my wedding! Hooray!

I'm actually feeling pretty good about the state of the wedding. Although theknot.com tries to tell me via to-do lists that I am tardy on many things, I feel good. The major players are in place:

-Our ceremony/reception venue is booked.
-The caterer is booked/comes with the venue
-The menu is decided
-Our incredible, awesomesauce photographer, Ken Clunk, is booked
-I bought my dress
-Bridesmaids dresses are all ordered and on their way
-I have a gorgeous vintage cake topper
-We have a string quartet (my string quartet) for the ceremony
-We have our officiant
-Rooms are booked for our immediate families
-I have a fabulous sorority sister who is going to do all the flowers

On the to-do list (lots of minutiae):
-Print and send save-the-dates (I know I'm late on this one, but they're almost good to go) for anybody not computer-savvy
-Start working on a seating chart for the reception (already started)
-Start designing invitations and deciding on wording (hooray for my new photoshop skills, thanks to designing the website)
-Get alterations to the wedding dress (not many, but a few small things)
-Find shoes to wear with wedding dress
-Figure out or design jewelry and headpiece for wedding dress
-Make bridesmaid jewelry/hair pieces
-Order white gold for wedding bands
-Make wedding bands
-Take engagement photos (probably in June?)
-Figure out guys' attire
-Decide on wedding favors, if having them
-Plan the Friday night s'mores party, add details to website
-Figure out the cake/dessert situation
-...other details...I know there's many more, but those are some of the ones that are next up

...What is this website, you ask? Our wedding website! I totally did the whole thing from scratch. I sourced all the vintage graphics, learned Gimp (mac freeware version of photoshop) in order to give them all the same background and even out the textures, and put it all together. The only thing I didn't do was code it, but I've never been a coder. My skills extend about as far as adding html tags to text.


I'm pretty happy with how the website turned out. I know it's such a small part of the wedding process, but I didn't just want to have a pre-made template from one of the many wedding website providers. They seemed boring and not very much like us. I received some great feedback on the site; a few friends said it was the best wedding website they had ever seen! Woo! It's nice that I busted my tail on it and people like it, even though I'm all about doing things for the enjoyment of doing them. That's the real reason I'm such a DIY queen. I enjoy the process. I can't wait to get started on some of my other projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment